BBC Studios Launches
BBC Podcasts Premium,
An Ad-Free Subscription for the US and Canada
BBC Podcasts Premium offers ad-free listening for popular titles spanning news, history, true crime, pop culture, science, and more, including BBC Global News Podcast and In Our Time, PLUS new and exclusive original audio series – Nuremberg and Things Fell Apart by Jon Ronson, available only on Apple Podcasts
BBC Studios today launched BBC Podcasts Premium, its first subscription podcast service for listeners in the U.S. and Canada. BBC Podcasts Premium offers ad-free listening for a range of its most popular titles, as well as exclusive access to new, original audio series – all available only on Apple Podcasts – https://apple.co/bbc
“Audio storytelling is where the BBC first began almost a century ago, and we’re proud to expand on that tradition with the launch of BBC Podcasts Premium. We are incredibly excited to collaborate with Apple on its subscription product that offers a compelling and seamless way for audiences in the U.S. and Canada to enjoy the very best of our global audio journalism and storytelling, all ad-free, along with never-before-heard titles this side of the pond.” – Louise la Grange, SVP & GM, Direct to Consumer, BBC Studios.
With BBC Podcasts Premium, listeners instantly unlock ad-free editions of the BBC’s best podcasts, including BBC Global News Podcast, with twice daily briefings on weekdays and daily editions on weekends; Melvyn Bragg’sIn Our Time, the definitive explanatory history series covering science, religion, philosophy, and more; the critically acclaimed celebrity interview seriesGrounded with Louis Theroux, recognized as one of Apple’s Best Shows of 2020; You’re Dead To Me, the comedic history podcast for people who don’t like history; and thrilling investigations such as Intrigue: Murder In the Lucky Holiday Hotel,and The Northern Bank Job.
Starting today, subscribers also enjoy exclusive access to an expanding slate of new, original audio series, including Nuremberg: The Trial of the Nazi War Criminals, starring Game of Thrones’ Natalie Dormer; 5 Minutes On, from BBC News with real-life stories behind the headlines; Things Fell Apart, from the international bestselling author Jon Ronson (available from November 9); and eco-investigation series Song of the Right Whale (available from early 2022), with more exclusive originals covering true crime, culture, science, and sports to be revealed soon.
BBC Podcasts Premium is available from the BBC Podcasts channel on Apple Podcasts on iPhone, iPad, and Mac for $3.99 per month in Canada.
SNAPSHOT: Highlights from the service:
- 5 Minutes On – EXCLUSIVE – Real-life stories behind the headlines from BBC News. A topical news podcast that brings you compelling human interest stories that will inspire, amuse, or give you perspective. Available at launch – https://apple.co/5-minutes-on
- BBC Global News Podcast – The day’s top stories from BBC News. Delivered twice a day on weekdays, daily editions on the weekend – https://apple.co/bbc-global-news
- BBC Inside Science – Illuminates the mysteries and challenges the controversies behind the science that’s changing our world – https://apple.co/inside-science
- Grounded with Louis Theroux – Stuck at home, Louis is using the lockdown to track down some high-profile people he’s been longing to talk to – from all walks of life and on both sides of the Atlantic – https://apple.co/louis-theroux
- In Our Time – Melyvn Bragg and guests discuss the history of ideas – https://apple.co/in-our-time
- Intrigue: Mayday – When James Le Mesurier fell to his death in Turkey he left behind a tangle of truths and lies about his involvement with the White Helmets first responders in Syria – https://apple.co/intrigue
- Intrigue: Tunnel 29 – 30 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Helena Merriman tells the extraordinary true story of a man who dug a tunnel into the East, right under the feet of border guards, to help friends, family, and strangers escape – https://apple.co/intrigue
- Intrigue: Murder In The Lucky Holiday Hotel – A true story of death, sex, and elite politics in China – https://apple.co/intrigue
- Nuremberg: The Trial of the Nazi War Criminals – EXCLUSIVE – Germany, May 1945: a surrender, a country in chaos, and the top Nazi leaders attempting to slip away. The drama follows the race to track down the war criminals and hold them accountable for their horrific actions. With a stellar cast led by Natalie Dormer, Nuremberg captures these events with fascinating insight beyond the better-known narrative. Available at launch – https://apple.co/nuremberg
- Song of the Right Whale – EXCLUSIVE – Rhod Sharp dives beneath the waves from Falmouth to Maine at the demise of the Right Whale. This immersive drama and eco-investigation uncovers the horror of whale entanglement, where whales get caught up in fishing lines and die. (Available in Early 2022)
- The Assassination – Award-winning inside story. An investigation into the death of Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. Includes interviews with those accused of her murder – https://apple.co/the-assassination
- The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry – Science sleuths Adam Rutherford and Dr. Hannah Fry investigate everyday mysteries sent by listeners – https://apple.co/rutherford-and-fry
- The Infinite Monkey Cage – Witty, irreverent look at the world through scientists’ eyes. With Brian Cox and Robin Ince – https://apple.co/infinite-monkey-cage
- The Northern Bank Job – It was the biggest bank heist in British and Irish criminal history. Belfast writer Glenn Patterson has unfinished business with the 2004 Northern Bank robbery – https://apple.co/northern-bank-job
- Things Fell Apart – EXCLUSIVE – Jon Ronson tracks down the people involved in some of the defining battles of the culture wars to hear their stories, understand their motivations for getting so involved, and to help us understand how we have got to where we are today. These are unexpected, extraordinary, twisty-turny tales of real consequence. (Available November 9)
- You’re Dead To Me –The history podcast for people who don’t like history… and those who do. Historian Greg Jenner brings together the best names in comedy and history to learn and laugh about the past – https://apple.co/youre-dead-to-me